Bridges Of The Tyne 5 Mile Road Race 2013
Tyne Bridge Harriers are proud to be staging the 2nd Bridges of The Tyne race on the evening of the 9th July 2013. Starting on the historic Quayside opposite the Wesley Memorial at 7:15pm, the event offers spectacular views down the Tyne.
THE 2013 RACE IS NOW FULL
Race HQ and registration is at The Tyne Pub on Maling Street, with registration beginning from 5:30 pm and closing at 6:45 pm. The race HQ is approximately 800 meters from the start on the Quayside and there will be an area set aside at The Tyne for runners to store baggage.
Location of The Tyne Bar for Registration & Presentations
View Tyne Bar in a larger map
Location of Start
View Bridges Of The Tyne START in a larger map
The race starts facing West towards the Tyne Bridge. Keeping to the left of the path runners will then run under the swing bridge and continue along the Hadrians Way cycle path towards the Quayside Business Park. The route will be open to pedestrians and cyclists and whilst the route will be marshaled runners will have no priority on the course
On the approach to the Swing Bridge runners are asked to be aware of items of street furniture including original mooring posts from the Quayside. On exiting from under the Swing Bridge there is a tight left turn before the path widens for a long straight section past the Copthorne Hotel towards the first mile point.
View at Mile 1
On the approach to the first mile marker the path narrows at a river access point, runners will need to be cautious in the approach to this section of course.
Although the route is flat and fast on the approach to the second mile point there are a number of left hand corners to negotiate, continuing to run on the left hand side of the path at all times.
View at Mile 2 Point
After passing the second mile point runners will follow the riverside path around the BA car park before facing the only incline on the course. This short stretch takes the course to its turning point before beginning the return to the Quayside.
The turn is signified by one of the Hadrian’s Way mile markers, after this sharp right hand turn the course takes runners on the grass verge for approximately 100m after leaving the grass stretch there is a short downhill section which has three steps at the bottom which runners are asked to approach with caution.
After negotiating the steps leading runners will be running in the opposite direction to runners on their outward route and are asked to keep to the left. The course from this point is basically a straight route back along the riverside path to The Quayside.
View at Mile 3
After passing the third mile the course widens out again heading back towards the City centre and mile 4, which is located outside of the Copthorne Hotel and offers runners spectacular views of the Bridges.
View at Mile 4
Passing mile 4 leads runners back to the Swing Bridge where once again caution is needed in respect of the street furniture. For the final section of the race, runners should move to the right hand side of the footpath for the run into the finish. Marshals will be on the Quayside as athletes run past the entrance to the Pitcher and Piano Pub, at which point the course is at it’s widest for a fast run into the finish that is located at the mouth of the Ouseburn.
Location Of The Finish Line
View Bridges Of The Tyne – FINISH in a larger map
Prize presentations will be at the Tyne Pub from approximately 8:30, allowing all competitors an opportunity to finish their race and change into fresh clothing. The Tyne will be selling specially brewed Tyne Bridge Harriers ale from the Ouseburn Valley Brewery on the night and will also be serving food from their menu.
Tyne Bridge Harriers would also like to thank Race Timing Systems who are supplying the timing equipment for this year’s event.
Tyne Bridge Harriers – Bridges Of The Tyne 5 Mile Road Race
(UKA Race Licence no. 2013-105392) to be held on Tuesday 9th July 2013 with a start time of 19:15
Tyne Bridge Harriers are delighted to announce that their 5 Mile race route has been officially measured by the Association of UK Course Measurers and been issued with the measurement certificate: Certificate of Course Accuracy : Ref 12/184
Terms and Conditions – event rules & guidelines
- Each participant must agree to the disclaimer and Terms & Conditions before participating in the event.
- All entry fees are non-refundable and Tyne Bridge Harriers retains the right to refuse entry to anyone.
- To register for the 5 mile race you must be 16 years of age or older on event day.
- All participants take part at their own risk and a disclaimer waiving all claims against Tyne Bridge Hariers and any party acting on its behalf must be completed by all entrants.
- Registrants must be capable of completing the full distance, start line to finish line.
- By taking part, all participants confirm that they are happy for their names and any footage or photographs taken during their participation to be used to publicise any Tyne Bridge Harriers 5 mile event.
- Race number transfers between runners can only be done via official channels. Participants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07722 583393.
- All entry fees are non-refundable and may not be deferred toward a future event.
- Registration closure is determined and announced when event participation reaches the established capacity.
- All postal entries must arrive before the event closing date. Proof of postage must be obtained for postal entries, no responsibility will be accepted for lost, damaged, illegible, delayed or mislaid entries.
- If paying via the website, an additional administration charge will be incurred.
- Participants must follow instructions as given from all event officials including race staff, volunteers, medical personnel, security officers and city officials throughout the duration of the event.
- All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event.
- Every participant shall be provided with a race number (which will need to be collected on the event day), which shall be conspicuously worn on the front during the event. The race number is to be worn as issued. No participant shall be permitted to participate in the event without the appropriate bib number.
- The use of iPod’s / earphones / headphones should NOT be used by any competitors during the race.
THE START AND COURSE MONITORING
- All participants shall enter the timing pen from the rear (no less than 15 minutes prior to the race start) unless otherwise directed by an event official. Any person who climbs the fence/barrier or otherwise enters improperly shall be disqualified from the event.
- Participants must begin the event during the official recognised start times.
- All participants must be positioned behind the starting line when starting.
- Any participant who refuses to obey the directions of the event official, city official or course marshal, or who conducts himself/herself in an unsportsmanlike manner, may be disqualified from the event.
- Participants must retire at once from race if ordered to do so by a member of the event’s official staff, official medical staff, or any governmental authority, including fire and police officers.
- Event officials reserve the right to delay, cancel, or suspend the race due to inclement weather in accordance with Emergency Protocol on severe emergencies and/or inclement weather. No refund will be issued in these circumstances.
RESULT TIMING AND PRIZES
- All participants are assigned a chip timing device.
- Clock time (gun time) is the official time for the 32 prizes. The official times shall be recorded from the start of the race by the starting gun to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
- Prizes are split between men (senior to V65+), ladies (senior to V60+) and team prize (male and female, senior and veteran), with values ranging from £60 to £20.
- Where a participant is awarded both categories for prizes, the participant is automatically given the one with the higher value.
- Official times for participants will be the electronic timing device time (chip or net time) from when the participant crosses the start line to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
AMENDMENTS / RESERVATIONS / ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Event officials reserve the right, to modify, supplement or waive all or part of the event rules.
- Participants shall be bound by any modification or supplement of the event rules published prior to the event.
- Failure to follow these event rules, as may be amended, will result in immediate disqualification, loss of prize money and removal from official results.